Since September 1, 2016 and up to March 2, 2017 there have been:
- 184 confirmed cases of Mumps reported to Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living.
- Cases of mumps continue to be reported in Manitoba.
- While initially the majority of cases were University students between 18 to 29 years of age, living in Winnipeg, or involved with or participate in sports, mumps cases are now being seen in all ages and throughout Manitoba.
- Cases are confirmed through Public Health investigation.
- Public health investigation also determines if the cases are linked to the ongoing outbreak with the University of Manitoba students and identifies any places they have visited and potential people they may have been in contact with during the period when they were contagious.
- Updates will be posted each Friday, until evidence shows that there are no additional cases associated with this outbreak.
People who think they might have mumps, or have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with mumps, should phone their health-care provider or phone Health Links-Info Sante at 204-788-8200 or 1-888-315-9257 (toll-free) for more information.
Please see the links below for important information on 1) the outbreak of mumps in Manitoba, and 2) the protocols for healthcare workers to follow.