Journal Study Clubs
Evaluation of scientific literature, promoting the delivery of evidence-based care, became the focus of a group of dental hygiene colleagues. The “Journal Study Club” (JSC) was established from this concept. JSC members discuss and evaluate professional issues utilizing research-based literature. Topics include patient care, public health/access to care, technology, modalities of treatment, and professional issues. For each topic, one member serves as a program facilitator researching the scientific literature on an agreed upon topic, chooses appropriate articles, and disseminates the articles to the members to read prior to meeting.
Discussion at the study club event follows the format of examining literature content, relevance, significance, evidence accuracy, and application to clinical practice. This process supports dental hygienists’ commitment to life-long learning and the practice of evidence-based care, while providing a valuable venue for continuing dental hygiene competence and professional development.
Check out this article for tips and information:
How to run an effective journal club: a systematic review by Y. Deenadayalan, K. Grimmer-Somers, M. Prior, S. Kumar.
(J Eval Clin Pract. 2008 Oct; 14(5):898-911. Review. PubMed PMID: 19018924.)
Please register all journal/study group topics and members with the Deputy Registrar. The CDHM encourages group learning and study clubs. However, the CCR is a self-directed learning process which means your personal learning experience must be in your own words.
Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) online
Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors has developed the following three Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) online training programs primarily for private practitioners and their staff. Read more in this document.
Continuing Professional Development Websites
- If you are a CDHA member there are all kinds of webinars available on the CDHA website.
- CDHA has also partnered with DVD Quarterly to bring online access to quality film presentations and hours of professional development in DVD Quarterly of Dental Hygiene Online.
- ADA Center For Evidence Based Dentistry
- Dental Care from Oral B and Crest
- Viva Learning
- Hygiene Town
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools
- Dentsply Canada
- Assessment and Risk Evaluation Tool for Caries, Oral Pathology and Periodontal Disease